Or how one hot shot can bring romance knocking on your door…
As more and more people turn to internet dating sites to find love, we take a look at how the photo you select for your profile can affect your chances of attracting that all-important first contact.
Whether you’re using an online dating service to find a soul mate, someone for a few laughs or simply to expand your circle of friends, you’re going to need a recent photograph of yourself. And the thing to remember as you upload your dating picture is that first impressions count – your photograph is the most influential factor on a potential partner’s decision to contact you. In fact, having a great photo can put you way ahead of the competition and seeing as between 30% and 60% of single people are now using internet dating sites, your need to do all you can to make your profile stand out from the crowd.Get In Touch
Dating portraits: the good, the bad and the ugly
So everybody lies on their online profile, don’t they? After all, when you see that photo of Brad Pitt looking for love or Keira Knightly wanting fun and good times, you know that someone isn’t being entirely honest about the way they look. However, research has actually shown that most online singles are fairly timid when it comes to stretching the truth – claiming to be just a few pounds lighter than they really are, perhaps a couple of inches taller…
And this is where your picture becomes so important. A photo can’t lie, can it? Actually, online dating photos are often selected to create a better impression, but take it too far and it simply won’t work. Upload a shot of yourself from 10 years ago and although you might look 10 years younger, your outfit will be a decade out of date. Add a misty filter to soften your features and the chances are that your thumbnail shot will look blurred.
So how can you be sure that your dating portrait will attract the sort of partner you’re looking for?
Top tips for perfect dating pictures
Research shows that profiles accompanied by a picture are five times more likely to get a response. If your picture looks good, your response rate could go ballistic!
Follow our guidelines and your dating profile portrait will make a real difference to your chances:
• Choose a picture in which your features are clearly defined. People respond better when they can see a person’s eyes.
• For women, making eye contact with the camera is a successful strategy. A friendly smile is good; an attempt at a flirtatious or sexy expression often looks weird.
• For men, the best strategy is not looking directly at the camera and don’t leer, grin or wink.
• Don’t wear a hat – it will cast shade across your face and hide your hair, one of the features that viewers are most interested in seeing. Likewise, sunglasses are a no-no.
• Usually your online dating portrait will be a simple head and shoulders shot, but if you are able to add more pictures, there are some sure-fire winners and losers – pictures that show you doing something interesting, holding an animal or in an interesting place are all conversation starters.
• On the other hand, pictures which show you in bed, with other people or drinking generally act as a turn-off. In particular, don’t upload one of you with your ex!
• Choose a photograph in which you’re in the foreground; a distant shot, cropped to fit, will lose definition and focus.
• If you’re taking a photograph for your online dating picture, pay particular attention to the lighting. A dark photo won’t win you any fans.
• Choose a photo in which you look happy, relaxed and most like yourself.
Professional online dating portraits
A good picture on your online dating profile has the potential to change your life. The more responses that your picture draws, the higher the chance that you’ll find someone who’s right for you. At its best, online dating can be a fantastic way to meet potential partners, so it pays to give yourself the advantage that the right picture offers.
If you follow the guidelines above and find that they rule out most of your existing photos, you should probably consider using the services of a professional photographer. Headshot London has a wide experience of shooting online dating photos that are natural, relaxed and engaging. Get in touch to take your first step towards online dating success.
(c) Headshot London Photography
Call For Information: 07940 444 641