Going To Have Fashion Photography Session?
Not a lot of people have the chance to witness, much more experience, fashion photography sessions. And now it’s your turn! Well, unless you’re a professional fashion model or you have been regularly undergoing a ton of photoshoots in the past, chances are you’re a bit concerned (worried, even) now that you are going to have your very own photography session. Alas, you need not fret. There are simple and pretty easy to do tips for you to follow.
Here are some of those helpful reminders for you to remember:
1. Get to know your photographer. It pays to build some kind of rapport with your fashion photographer. You can either visit his studio or you can invite him for coffee or a quick snack before the fashion photography session. Have a casual chat with your fashion photographer. Know what he likes and what he envisions your photo shoot to be. This way, not only will you know beforehand the do’s and don’ts during your fashion photography session but you will also get to know your photographer more. You will know his work experience, his previous clients, his past photo shoots and even a bit of his personality. Who knows – that photography session may just be the first of many!
2. It pays to feel relaxed. Nothing beats feeling comfortable and relaxed so that you would end up looking your best in front of the camera. So exactly how do you do this? Get a lot of sleep before the photography session. Drink lots of water, drink your vitamins, play some of your favorite songs and maybe even sing a few tunes. Do things that will make you feel at ease. Some professional models even vouch that calling a very good friend and sharing a laugh or a joke before a fashion shoot can help them feel relaxed. Also, don’t forget to ask your fashion photographer for pieces of advice on how to build a relaxed, comfy atmosphere during the fashion photography session. Who knows – your fashion photographer may even want you to put your favorite songs on full blast during the shoot!
3. If you want specific shots taken or if you have a specific style of photography in mind, do share this with your fashion photographer. It’s best that he already knows what you prefer from the get-go. This will help avoid possible misunderstanding or confusion between the two of you. If you have pictures that can help shape or define your preferred look or outcome, do share these with your photographer. These pictures may be those that you came across with over the web or in magazines. Now if you aren’t sure, though, of what you like, ask your fashion photographer if he has pictures of his previous fashion photography clients that you can check. Alternatively, you may want to peruse his portfolio and see if any of his previous works strike you.
4. Arm yourself with the right pieces of clothing, shoes, accessories and make-up for you to use during your photo shoot. If you can bring someone like a personal assistant or even a hairdresser, hairstylist or a make-up artist with you at the set, the better. Remember, you need not bring your entire closet to the set. Just bring the right style and the most appropriate clothes for the shoot. Since it’s a fashion photography session, it’s advisable to bring clothes that flatter your figure, party clothes, gowns and the like. It’s best if you ask your fashion photographer beforehand if he has any suggestions as to which types of clothes to bring. Usually, 5 sets of clothes are more than enough. As for accessories, bring a lot of these! In fact, the rule of thumb during fashion photo sessions is – there can never be too many accessories! Accessories such as bangles, funky earrings, bib necklaces and fancy scarves can always liven up any outfit. Shoes, hair and make-up should also be appropriate and of course, stylish. If you can do your hairstyle and make-up on your own, remember to spice this up for the shoot and also remember to retouch. It is still most highly recommended, though, to bring your own hairstylist and make-up artist in order to avoid delays and other hassles.
5. Trust your fashion photographer. Remind yourself that he knows what he’s doing and that he’s a professional at work. So just relax, feel beautiful and let your photographer do his magic!
Read further for more fashion photography questions, reviews and our professional portfolio.